If you are reading this post then I’m sure you own or have in possession a TM1 laptop and wants to know how to fix one or two issues. Let me reiterate that you are in the right place at the right time.
Of course, not only will I be showing you how to fix the TM1 laptop sound drivers, but I will also show you step by step how to install other drivers such as the VGA, Bluetooth, WiFi etc.
What is the TM1 Laptop?
The Teachers Mate 1 (TM1) laptop is a customized laptop supplied to teachers in the public basic and pre-tertiary schools. This was an agreement made between the government of Ghana through the Ghana Education Service (GES) and public school teachers through the various Teacher Unions (GNAT, NAGRAT, CCT-GH, Innovative Teachers etc.). The primary purpose for distributing these to teachers was to improve the quality of teaching and learning.
To teachers, this was undoubtedly good news. However, the price of the laptops raised a lot of concern and dissatisfaction. Not only does the laptop cost GH₵ 1,831.47, but teachers were also forced to pay GH₵ 549.44, while the Government absorbed the remaining GH₵ 1,282.30. Teachers and tech. enthusiasts considered this deal a daylight robbery as the quality and specifications of the laptops were questionable.
Before we learn how to fix the TM1 laptop, it is important to know that the laptops were manufactured by KA Technologies (KAT). Now, who is KA Technologies?
About KA Technologies
KA Technologies (KAT) is an indigenous private limited liability company, registered in Ghana under the Companies Act, 2019 (ACT 992). The company is engaged in Manufacturing, Training, Connectivity and Technology Solutions for institutions such as education, healthcare and agriculture, and focuses on delivering unique value to institutions and individual users through an integrated and optimized blend of hardware and software.
Features of TM1 laptop
To know how to fix the TM1 laptop, it is important to know the features (specifications) of the machine. The table below lists the general features of the TM1 laptop.
|Screen Size||720p 14 inches Display|
|CPU||Intel Cerelon N4020 1.2GHz chip|
|Storage||256GB SSD (Solid State Drive)|
|Display Resolution||1366 x 768 Pixels|
|Camera||0.3M Pixel Front Camera|
|Wireless Connectivity||WiFi: b/g/n, Bluetooth: Yes|
|Body||Full Plastic case, Color: Black & Grey|
Download TM1 Laptop Sound Drivers
The Teachers Mate 1 (TM1) laptop distribution has reached more teachers at the senior high and basic schools. There have been a number of reported issues with the laptops. Teachers have no other option than to reinstall a new copy of the operating system (Windows). Some teachers, after reinstalling the Windows have their laptop sound stopped working. If your sound icon on the taskbar looks exactly like the image below, then your sound drivers need fresh installation. Please continue reading to know how to go about it.
So in this article, I will guide you on how to fix TM1 laptop sound drivers. This process equally applies to any Teacher Mate One (TM1) device drivers that may need reinstallation or update.
Follow these steps to fix your TM1 laptop drivers
1. Download the drivers from these links: Mega Link or Google Drive Link. (Note! if any of the links are broken, kindly notify me in the comment section). This driver is for the Audio (Sound) device of the TM1 laptop. If you need the complete TM1 laptop drivers kindly follow the link below:
2. After downloading, navigate to the folder to which you have downloaded the zip file. The file is named TM1_Audio_Drivers_Sirboatengonline.zip Right-click on the zip file and extract it. Refer to the image below.
3. Right after extracting the zip file, open the Device Manager. To do so, you can use the windows shortcut (Windows Logo Key + X on your keyboard) or Right-click on the start button and select Device Manager from the list of options that pop up.
Alternatively, you can click on the (1) file “explorer” icon on the taskbar, then (2) right-click on “This PC” at the left pane of the file explorer window. After that click on “Properties” as illustrated below.
This action will send you to the system properties where you can identify the version of the windows installed, the CPU speed and architecture, the RAM, and windows activation status. Click on device manager as shown below
4. Once you are in the device manager window, you will see some devices with a warning yellow badge, including the sound (audio) device. Right – Click on the “Multimedia Audio Controller” and select “Update driver“. On the dialogue box that opens, select “Browse my computer for drivers”.
5. Click “Browse” on the next screen and navigate to the folder where you extracted the TM1 Laptop audio drivers in Step 2. For this tutorial the folder name was “TM1 OEM Audio Drivers” but yours can be TM1_Audio_Drivers_Sirboatengonline. Nevertheless, both folders contain the same drivers so select the folder and click OK.
6. Now click Next and wait for the drivers to be installed successfully. Click on “Close” when done.
7. After successfully installing the “High Definition Audio Device” another audio-related device will appear on the “Device Manager”. This time with a different name. Locate the “Intel High Definition DSP” from the list of devices.
Repeat the procedure in steps 4 to 6 to install the “Intel High Definition DSP“. After successfully installing the “Intel High Definition DSP” device driver, you will see another device called “I2S Device” as seen from the image above.
Again, repeat the procedure in steps 4 to 6 to install the “I2S Device” device driver as well. After the installation, your audio device will start working, congratulations!.
Alternatively, you can use Windows Update Manager to automatically install the audio and any other drivers. To do that, connect the laptop to the internet. You can either use your phone WiFi Hotspot, a Standard WiFi Router, a Phone USB Tether or what have you.
Open “Device Manager” once again. Once you are in “Device Manager“, Right-click the device that needs a driver installation and select “Update driver”. Click “Search automatically for drivers” on the next screen.
Windows will automatically install device drivers from windows updates. Do this for all devices found under audio inputs and outputs and any device that has a yellow warning label. After installation restart your laptop and this should fix the sound problems.
You can also follow the video below to watch how to install all the device drivers for the TM1 laptop.
If you still have any problems with your TM1 laptop and you want to know how to solve them, kindly leave a comment below. I will be glad to assist you.