The field of education is constantly evolving, and with it, the standards of teaching. The National Teaching Council (NTC) in Ghana is at the forefront of this evolution. The NTC, established under the Education Regulatory Bodies Act 2020 (ACT 1023), regulates the teaching profession in Ghana.
One of its mandates is to conduct the NTC Exam 2023, a licensing examination for individuals aspiring to become professional teachers. This article will guide you through what the NTC Exam 2023 entails, the eligibility requirements, the registration process, and other crucial details to help you navigate this critical step toward your teaching career.
NTC Examination: An Overview
The main aim of the NTC Exam 2023 is to enable qualified teachers to acquire a professional license and prepare them to meet the National Teachers’ Standards in Ghana. These standards require teachers to possess the minimum knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes necessary to deliver effectively in schools.
To better meet these requirements, five years after introducing the Ghana Teacher Licensure Examination (GTLE), the NTC is reforming the examination to introduce the Subject-Based Ghana Teacher Licensure Examination (SBGTLE) in 2023. The SBGTLE will test both the content and professional knowledge of aspiring teachers.
The NTC 2023 Examination Structure
The NTC Exam 2023 comprises three papers:
- General Professional Knowledge Paper – This paper contains numeracy, literacy, and essential professional skills contents.
- Grade-level Specialism Pedagogy Paper – The pedagogies in this paper are differentiated by levels of specialization i.e., Early Grade or Early Childhood, Primary and JHS, SHS/SHTS, and Technical Vocational Schools.
- Multiple Subjects Content or Single Subject Content Knowledge – The choice between multiple subjects content or single subject specialism is dependent on the training level of the prospective teachers.
For detailed content areas and tables of specification, prospective candidates are encouraged to visit the official NTC website.
Eligibility Criteria for the NTC Exam
To be eligible to write the NTC Exam 2023, a candidate must have either a Bachelor of Education Degree or a Postgraduate Diploma in Education. Candidates with foreign degrees will need to provide a certificate evaluation report from the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC) to validate their eligibility.
The Indexing Process
Before registering for the NTC Exam 2023, all prospective candidates must be indexed. The indexing fee is Fifty Ghana Cedis (GH₵50.00). Payment can be made at any branch of Prudential Bank Ltd nationwide or through mobile money payment using the short code *772*51# across all networks. Once payment is successful, candidates will receive a message containing their name, indexing number, and further instructions.
To verify your details, you can log on to the official indexing portal of NTC.
Registration Process for the 2023 NTC Exam
Before starting the registration process, candidates should check their status on the NTC exam portal to ensure that their data have been uploaded onto the portal by their training institution.
The registration fee for the NTC Exam 2023 is four hundred and fifty Ghana Cedis (GH₵450.00) for three papers. This payment can be made at any branch of Prudential Bank Ltd nationwide or through mobile money payment using the shortcode *772*51# across all networks.
After payment, candidates must log on to the NTC exam portal, enter their e-voucher Serial number and Pin, fill in all the fields, upload their passport-size photograph, read the examination regulations, check the box before submission, and finally print a summary of the inputs made.
Also, check what others are reading now:
Important Points to Note
There are a few essential points that candidates need to take note of:
- The NTC will not accept any requests for a change of photograph after the examination.
- Candidates should review all information provided before submitting.
- Candidates should keep their PIN and Serial Numbers secure after registration for further use.
- Online registration must be completed not later than 31st July 2023.
- There will be no extensions in the time for registration beyond the 31st July 2023 deadline.
- Candidates should dress formally or professionally for the examination.
- Babies are not allowed at the examination hall.
- All candidates should select and write a paper in pedagogy related to their area of specialization.
- An announcement for registration of re-sit candidates for the traditional GTLE will be made soon.
The ongoing registration for the 2023 Ghana Teacher Licensure Examination (GTLE) 2 is for fresh candidates only. Due to the GTLE reforms, which have been implemented this year, candidates who have referrals in the traditional GTLE have three chances to redeem themselves. Re-sit candidates will have their last chance to write GTLE in November 2023.
NTC 2023 Examination Dates
The NTC Exam 2023 is slated for the 13th to the 15th of September 2023.
The NTC Exam 2023 is a significant step towards becoming a licensed teacher in Ghana. By following the guidelines outlined in this article, aspiring teachers can prepare themselves adequately for the examination, meet the national standards for teaching, and achieve their career goals. With the right preparation and mindset, success in the examination is achievable.